Tuesday, November 18, 2014

back pain is a pain in the neck... wait, what?

Maybe it's because of multiple celebrations of The Excellent Wife (TEW)'s birthday this past weekend (which means my weight's up a couple of pounds), or maybe it's because I slept in a couple of days (one day, I didn't get out of bed until after 8:00am, which is incredible for me... but then, I'd been up in the middle of the night, which is almost predictable), but my back's been bad. I can get physical therapy on my medical plan, but I need a doctor's referral, and I no longer have off on the day my preferred doctor at my practice works... so I've either got to change my doc or take a day off.

(My back is usually a bit off on rising from bed, but it usually improves over the course of an hour or two. The worst things seem to be standing for a long time, and staying in bed a long time. Sitting too long in my office chair isn't great, either; I walk around the office frequently, saying "hi" and imposing on my coworkers.)

I've been doing some exercises for the back (I've added them to the morning routine) and they help. But at the suggestion of TEW, I've been using a probiotic, and the back seems to be worse since I started. It may simply be a correlation in time rather than a cause-and-effect relationship, but still...

I USED to be able to count on a 40-60 mile ride to straighten things up and reduce pain in that dorsal region, but that hasn't been effective recently. Drat. As I so frequently say, all my parts are as old as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment