Sunday, October 12, 2014

new brunswick october ciclovia

Today was the third New Brunswick Ciclovia, where the city closed a few miles of streets for cycling, scooters, skateboards, and family fun. As for all of the previous Ciclovias, The New Brunswick Bike Exchange and our parent organization, PRAB, had a presence, and as in the April and July events, I went and wrenched bikes at the booth, along with several young volunteers from the Bloustein School.

I rode in with three layers, and after a short ride, went back for gloves this morning, but by the end of the day I was down to my turtleneck and wishing I had a tee-shirt; it turned out to be a great day. We had a slow start, but when the neighbors fond out we were there, I was busy almost non-stop through the day; we started at 10, and I had a short break about 2:15 or so. I'm grateful that Alex ran off to get me a sandwich, and Stephanie got me an iced tea.

I thought I did about 60 bikes, but others said I worked on about 100, and the other volunteers were working on bikes as well. Mostly, of course, it was simple stuff: inflating tires, putting chains back on. But these are mostly toy bikes, most of which have never been adjusted, so there was adjustments of brakes and derailleurs as well. One bike came in with a missing jockey wheel in the rear derailleur and a chain routing that defied description. The bike owner said it came from the store that way and nobody had worked on it, but I can't imagine the bike ever worked like that!

The van from our parent organization, PRAB, was there, and the staffer, Cuqui, had music going and kept a party atmosphere. She also had hula hoops, and I understand they were quite a hit, but they were on the other side of the van... by the time I got there to take pictures, much of the hoopla (HAH! I crack myself up!) had passed.

Pictures: Alex toasts me with his morning bagel:


Tom & Stephanie:


A few of the (dozens of) college volunteers.


Setting up.



Customers! and Bikes!



I loved that low-rider cruiser above.





I loved the look of the kid in the picture below.


Below: Cuqui (in red) would be a lot of fun if she'd just loosen up, doncha think?




Below: Stephanie & Alex, in uniform, at the end of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment