Friday, August 8, 2014

spinning with sue m & tew

Today is another of those Fridays I have off, and for the past few days, The Excellent Wife (TEW) has been agitating for us to do a ride together today. We've had some weirdness (for example, her supervisor, who's just a few years older than I, died yesterday), so I thought it was a good idea, too. And TEW is developing a pal-ship with Sue M, so we decided to go on her ride today, at 8am from Bruno's.

Sue had led a fast B ride yesterday (I, for one, would have called it B+, with a 17mph average), and she was up for a slow ride today, as a recovery. And a C ride of this distance sounded like just the thing for TEW.

We did this route. It was hillier than TEW expected, and she had some complaints, but the hills were mostly in the early part of the ride (mostly...), and TEW was grateful for that. Sue is also enamored of horses, and we passed quite a few. I kept thinking, as I often do, "HOW far are we from Broad and Market in Newark?"

We stopped at the Wawa in New Egypt, where I got an apple fritter that just had Sue marveling at its size; you'll see it in a picture below (I used to get 'em at a local Dunkin Donuts, but new ownership, doncha know... and they were never as good at other stores). When the lav at the Wawa was unavailable, we went to see Mr. Patel at Scott's, and got to chatting with the fellow from the Max's bike shop next door. Sue has her eye on yet another set of wheels, I think.

On the way back, TEW was appalled that this would not have been considered a hilly ride; it was hilly enough for her! (and hilly for a C ride, I think). But by the end, her mood had improved. She's planning on going out on her own for a bike tour at Valley Forge soon!

Well, I, for one, am impressed.

Pics. Sue & TEW on the road:



One of the horses:


Look out! A giant apple fritter is engulfing Sue M!


Whew! Looks like Sue recovered. (Is that Sue taking a picture of me taking a picture of her?)


2 comments:

  1. Hey, TEW! Hill road has SEVEN hills. They all count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And one of the roads is . ..wait for it . . . HILL RD! JP

    ReplyDelete